Friday 9 November 2018

Stunning, Graceful Swans - Photographs On Gifts And Cards


Swans are one of my favourite birds. I think they are so graceful and beautiful and so relaxing to watch. I love that they usually mate for life and the way they look after their young cygnets. They usually have between three to eight eggs to look after and are fiercely protective of eggs and young. 

An adult male is a cob, from Middle English cobbe (leader of a group); an adult female is known as a pen. The babies are called cygnets or swanlings and are usually a very fluffy grey colour, I feel very cute. 

There are many types of swan including Mute Swan, Whooper swan and trumpeter Swan, Tundra swan, Bewicks swan and Whistling Swan. Their wingspans can reach over ten foot and they need open water in order to make successful landings.  

Swans native to the Northern hemisphere have white feathers and the cygnets are grey. 

Southern hemisphere swans are mixed black and white. 

While the Australian Swan is Black with white flight feathers, its cygnets are grey in colour.

The South American black-necked Swan has a black neck with the rest of its body white. 

Swans are most often noted as a symbol of love and fidelity due to their habit of taking a lifelong monogamous mate, mostly only divided by death or occasionally a failed nest.

The most famous Swan story is that of The Ugly Duckling fable.  

I always feel it a huge privilege to observe a swan, it never gets old, they are fascinating to me. I love to take photographs and they are often obliging subjects as they do not move too fast away. Also, they are just stunningly beautiful!

However, I am always very careful to stay at a safe, respectful distance especially when they have young or eggs. 

I love taking photographs of swans in a few special locations. Here are some of the items for sale I have made from the photographs. I hope you enjoy them.

Mute Swan Wings Bathing. Coffee Mug
Mute Swan Wings Bathing. Coffee Mug
by RaintreeDesigns

  If you like this page please share and do come to join us at Facebook Page Raintree Earth Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment